Alabama Bicentennial Historic sites in Colony marked with Bicentennial signs | CullmanSense

Alabama Bicentennial

Historic sites in Colony marked with Bicentennial signs

The Reverend Kiki Terry and members of the Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church are pictured with their Alabama 200 Bicentennial sign. / Photo courtesy Drew Green

COLONY - On Sunday, Drew Green of the Cullman County Bicentennial Committee delivered “Alabama 200” marker signs to two sites of interest in the town of Colony.  Mayor Donnis Leeth and Councilman Curtis Johnson were on hand for presentations at Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church and the Colony Community Center, formerly the site of Colony School.

Pleasant Grove UMC was organized in 1858.  The congregation received its sign as part of its annual homecoming service, for which all former members were invited to return.

Colony School was built to serve local students in 1927, and was closed in 1965 when school integration laws sent all of Colony’s students to Hanceville.

“Alabama 200” sandwich board marker signs indicate locations of historic interest during the state’s nearly three-year Bicentennial celebration.  Brochures in racks attached to the signs will lead local history buffs to other marked places around the county.  For more information, visit www.cullmancountymuseum.com or www.facebook.com/cullmancomuseum.

Find out more about Alabama 200, the state’s Bicentennial celebration, at www.alabama200.org

Copyright 2017 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

  •  Photo courtesy of Drew Green
    Shown at the Colony Community Center, site of the town’s former school. L-R: 1962 graduate Daniel David Clopton, Councilman Curtis Johnson, Mayor Donnis Leeth, and member of the school’s 1965 (last) graduating class Reverend Willie James Twitty.
  • Courtesy of Drew Green
    The old Colony School, in a photo from the archives of the Cullman County Museum.