Wallace State Adult Education graduate Billy Pezzeca earns Pete Turnham Scholarship
HANCEVILLE – Wallace State Adult Education graduate Billy Pezzeca of Arab is a recipient of the Pete Turnham Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded annually by the Alabama Association for Public and Continuing Adult Education (ALAPCAE) and is named in honor of Turnham, who was a member of the Alabama House of Representatives for many years and dedicated immense support to adult education.
Pezzeca, 30, was one of nine adult education students to earn the scholarship across the state and was recognized at the 2013 Adult Education Summer Conference luncheon held at the BJCC in Birmingham recently.
Pezzeca earned his GED in less than three months from Wallace State’s Adult Education program and plans to remain at the college and utilize his scholarship by enrolling in the welding department, beginning with the fall 2013 semester. He completed his GED while he was residing at The Foundry Recovery Center, a Christian-based rehabilitation center in Holly Pond.
Upon enrolling for the fall semester, Pezzeca will become the first family member of his generation to seek a postsecondary education. He hopes to obtain a certificate in welding in order to one day become an underwater welder.
Wallace State’s Adult Education program is a non-profit program that assists individuals who have discontinued public education enrollment or who do not have a high school diploma, as well as for those who need basic skill development for employment purposes.
Wallace State’s Adult Education class sites are located throughout Blount, Cullman, Morgan and Winston Counties. For more information, call the department at 256-352-8078.
For more information about Wallace State, visit wallacestate.edu.
- Wallace State Adult Education graduate Billy Pezzeca earns Pete Turnham Scholarship
- Wallace State names Dr. Beth Bownes Johnson new Dean of Academic Affairs
- Area high school students delve into biology, forensics during Wallace State’s BioTech camp
- Wallace State baseball splits road doubleheader with Motlow State
- No. 21 Wallace State Lady Lions clinch ACCC North Division title in regular season home finale, while WSCC men grind out win for share of its own division crown